Information we collect
We may collect the following types of information:
Information you provide - When you sign up for UL's PROSPECTOR® materials database and information
website ("Site"), we ask you for certain professional information. The only professionally
identifiable information that we keep is the information that you provide to us. You may provide the following
information for each of our services:
- Product Ordering - We request information from the user on our order form. A user must provide contact information (such as name, email, and shipping address) and financial information (such as credit card number, expiration date). This information is used for billing purposes and to fill customer's orders. If we have trouble processing an order, the information is used to contact the user. Our online order center is a secure site to protect your personally identifiable and financial information. To learn more about our security, please review the information provided below under the section titled "How we protect your professional information".
How we use this information
- The information we collect allows us to keep you posted on our latest announcements and upcoming events. It also helps us to improve our services, content, and communications. If you don't want to be on our mailing list, you can opt out anytime by updating your preferences.
- We also use information we collect to help us develop, deliver, and improve our services, content, and communications.
- We may use your information to send important notices or communications regarding services you have ordered from UL. We may also use information we collect for internal purposes such as auditing, data analysis, and research to improve our products, services, and customer communications.
- We may collect, use, transfer, and disclose non-professional information for any purpose.
- Prospector Database: The information you provide to UL to use the Prospector database is collected and used so that, from time to time, we can send you information on programs and services that we believe may be of interest to you. If you don't want to be on our mailing list, you can opt out anytime by updating your preferences. We reserve the right to disclose information about your usage and demographics, provided that it will not reveal your professional identity in connection with the disclosure of such information.
How we protect your professional information
We do not collect professionally identifiable information without your permission. You can choose which, if any, of our online resources you wish to participate in.
With respect to the Prospector database, UL only shares professional information with other companies or individuals outside of UL in the following limited circumstances:
UL understands the importance of security and takes precautions to protect our users' information.
When our member registration and order forms asks users to enter sensitive information (such as credit card numbers), that information is encrypted and is protected with the best encryption software in the industry - SSL. While on a secure page, such as our order form, the lock icon in Web browsers address bars becomes locked, as opposed to un-locked, or open, when users are just 'surfing.'
While we use SSL encryption to protect sensitive information online, we also take steps to protect user-information off-line. All of our users' information, not just the sensitive information mentioned above, is restricted in our offices. Only employees who need the information to perform a specific job (for example, our accounts receivable department or customer service representatives) are granted access to personally identifiable information. Our employees must use password-protected screen-savers when they leave their desk. When they return, they must re-enter their password to re-gain access to user information. Furthermore, all employees are kept up-to-date on our security and privacy practices. Every time new policies are added, our employees are notified and/or reminded about the importance we place on privacy, and what they can do to ensure our users' information is protected. Finally, the servers that store personally identifiable information are in a secure environment, within a locked facility.
If users have any questions about the security at our Site, users can send an email to: customer.support@ULProspector.com
Links to Third Party Websites
Accessing your information
For many of our services, we provide mechanisms for you to update your professional information. You may access and update your professional information by logging into your Prospector database account. You are responsible for updating your professional information.
Last Updated: 4/3/2014